At Telegraph UK, «Islamic State launches wave of suicide attacks on Iraqi troops«:
More than 17 troops killed in co-ordinate attack as army tries to retake key city.
Islamic State jihadists have unleashed a wave of suicide attacks targeting pro-government troops in western Anbar, a day after Baghdad launched a new offensive to drive them from the province.
Up to 17 soldiers were killed in the explosions that took place outside of Fallujah, a town controlled by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant inside the Sunni heartland Anbar.
Brigadier General Saad Maan Ibrahim, the spokesman for the Joint Military Command said on Wednesday that the militants had struck near a water control station and a lock system on a canal between Lake Tharthar and the Euphrates River.
The troops had been deployed there as part of a new push to try to take Anbar, after the Iraqi army suffered its biggest military defeat there this year in the loss of Ramadi city earlier this month.
Brig Gen Ibrahim added that the Islamic State extremists used a sandstorm that engulfed most of Iraq on Tuesday night to launch the deadly wave of bombings.
He said it was not clear how many suicide attackers were involved in the bombings but they hit the military from multiple directions.
The attacks took place just hours after the ministry of defence announced the new mission.
Also at France 24, «Iraqi forces push to surround IS-held Ramadi — IRAQ.» And at CBN News, «Wave of ISIS Bombings Leaves 17 Iraq Troops Dead.»